Friday, January 25, 2013

An ounce of technique is better than a pound of strength but a gram of mental can be a powerful thing!

I'm having my best ice season ever not because I've went to lots of places hell I've been mostly local. The architecture has been laid out by events my main climbing partner has only been able to do short trips so local we stayed mostly. I'm also not training as hard at the gym yet there has been a noticeable difference that started late last season. My mental game changed spurred on by a new perception I guess you could say. Also having great climbing partner has been a major impact. I use to think that strength was my main weakness when it came to climbing and yet now I realize that technique which is gained by time on the ice is so much more powerful! The more familiar the better things become duh I must be a slow learner. Hold on though then there is mental of which plays a huge role in climbing for me HUGE! I have done some of the hardest leads of my climbing career these past few months not because I was stronger or technically a better climber. No because my mental outlook has changed I see things a little different now. I had to force my self to swim in deeper water but I kept it in check with reality to my abilities and it has been amazing. Ice climbing is still hard, cold and scary but I wouldn't want it any other way. Hell I'm climbing my best on ice at 43 and I feel like the best is still yet to come! It's not the swing that counts it's the stepping up to the plate that matters.

Climbing with my boys in Hyalite Canyon life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment